A bathroom exhaust fan is a perfect way to add airflow to your shower.
Increased airflow helps reduce steam and moisture in your bathroom. Also, a bathroom fan will help dry out your shower after use.
A dry shower is less likely to grow mold and other nasties. Also, with less steam you’ll have less foggy mirrors so you can actually see yourself in the mirror once you get out.
If you have poor ventilation in your bathroom with small or no windows you definitely should invest in a bathroom fan. Without a fan your shower and bath will stay wetter for longer. This gives mold and mildew a greater chance to grow and make a mess of your bathroom. Also, if you bathroom is moist and damp for a very long time, moisture can start to absorb into the dry wall. This will damage your bathroom walls and eventually be very expensive to replace.
What fan capacity (CFM) do I need?
|Bathroom size||Small (5ft x 8ft)||Standard (9ft x 11ft)||Large (9ft + x 11ft +)|
|CFM you need||50||110||150+|
When choosing a bathroom fan you want to pick one that is powerful enough. How much power do you need? Well I’m glad you asked.
You need a fan that is powerful enough to move all the air in your bathroom in a reasonable amount of time.
Ideally your bathroom fan is powerful enough to recycle the total cubic feet of air in your bathroom every 7.5 minutes, or fully recycle 8 times every hour.
So you need to know cubic feet of your bathroom to figure out the CFM (cubic feet per minute) you need.
Cubic feet = length of your bathroom x width of your bathroom x height of your bathroom.
For example: Most ceilings are 8ft high as standard. A lot of standard bathrooms are 9ft wide and 11ft long/deep. So the cubic ft = 8 x 9 x 11 = 792 cubic ft.
If we want to recycle 792 cubic feet every 7.5 minutes we need a flow rate of 792 divided by 7.5 or 106 CFM.
If your bathroom was much smaller, say 5ft wide and 8ft deep, you would only need a CFM of around 43. However, please note, most building codes will stipulate a minimum fan of 50 CFM.
Read also : Best Steam Shower Reviews and Buying Guide 2023
Things to consider when buying a bathroom fan
- Cubic flow per minute (CFM). Make sure your fan is powerful enough to do its job. Read above and calculate the size of your bathroom and choose a fan to match. Too small a fan and it won’t generate enough airflow to stop mold. Too big a fan and you’ll spend money you didn’t need to.
- Noise. Choose a fan that is quite to run. It’s generally good to run the fan for a little while after your shower as well as during your shower. You don’t want a noisy fan disturbing you. Check the product information and reviews to check how noisy or quiet the fan is.
- Unit size. Make sure you have enough room to install the shower fan unit in your ceiling. Ideally you’d like the fan directly above your shower for best results. However, if your shower is tucked in a small corner your larger fan might need to be place elsewhere.
- Color and finish. Choose a fan that matches your ceiling color to blend in, or a classy finish that matches the other fittings in your bathroom.
Top Bathroom Fan Reviews
- VERSATILE FAN: Ventilation fan helps eliminate , tobacco smoke, and cooking odors and can be installed in either the ceiling or wall
- EFFICIENT: Operates on 70 CFM and has a 6.0 Sone rating to ensure a peaceful surrounding when in operation
- EASY INSTALLATION: Torsion springs grille mounting – no tools necessary for a quick and easy installation. Compact housing fits easily between ceiling joists or wall studs
- DECORATIVE: Paintable polymeric grilles allow you to ensure the fan is cohesive with your existing decor
- FEATURES: Plug-in, permanently lubricated motor with the Broan-designed polymeric blower wheel for high-quality operation every time
- 70 CFM and 3.5-Sones
- Powerful centrifugal blower wheel
- Wall and ceiling mount
- Compact housing fits easily between ceiling joists or wall studs
- Backed by 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- Quiet 2.0 sone ventilation fan (approximately 40 decibels)
- Great for use in your bathroom and other small rooms
- Galvanized steel housing, quick-connect wiring
- UL Listed for over tub and shower with GFCI
- 3-inch duct outlet, joist mount installation
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE: This Homewerk’s bath fan ensures comfort in your home by quietly eliminating moisture and humidity in the bathroom. This exhaust fan is 1. 5 sone at 110 CFM which means it’s able to manage spaces up to 110 square feet
- BATH FANS HELPS REMOVE HARSH ODOR: When cleaning the bathroom or toilet, harsh chemicals are used and they can leave an obnoxious odor behind. Homewerk’s bathroom fans can help remove this odor with its powerful ventilation
- BUILD QUALITY: Designed to be corrosion resistant with its galvanized steel construction featuring a grille modern style.
- EASY INSTALLATION: This exhaust bath fan is easy to install with its no-cut design and ceiling mount ventilation. Ceiling Opening (L) 7-1/2 in x Ceiling Opening (W) 7-1/4 x Ceiling Opening (H) 5-3/4 in and a 4″ round duct connector.
- HOMEWERKS TRUSTED QUALITY: Be confident in the quality and construction of each and every one of our products. We ensure that all of our products are produced and certified to regional, national and international industry standards. We are proud of the products we sell, you will be too. 3 Year Limited
- ETL Listed,HVI Certified
- HOUSING SIZE – Please note the size of the housing is 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 inch, resizing your existing ceiling opening will be needed if your current fan housing is smaller.
- SUPER QUIET – Powerful 100 CFM and quiet operation at 0.8 Sones. Suitable for bathroom size up to 100 square feet.
- INSTALLATION – No Attic Access Required. See photos and manual for installation instructions.
- DUCTING – Detachable 4 inch polymeric duct with back draft prevention damper.
- RELIABILITY – Proudly stand behind our products.
- HIGH-QUALITY FAN: Quiet, ENERGY STAR certified exhaust fan operates with 110 CFM and 1.0 Sones to help control air quality is powerful enough for rooms (including bathroom) up to 105 sq. ft.; Duct Diameter 4″
- EFFICIENT: Powerful ventilation reduces to quickly eliminate fogged mirrors at 110 CFM, so your vision will always be clear and your surroundings will always be comfortable
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easy to install new/replace existing product with retrofit installations that can be done entirely from the room-side – no attic access required
- RELIABLE PERFORMANCE: With our TrueSeal Damper Technology, InVent fans reduce air leakage by up to 50% compared to competitive models, resulting in better home performance via blower door tests and reducing cold and warm air backdrafts
- GREAT FOR BATHROOM: UL Listed for use over tubs and showers with a GFCI circuit so you can capture the steam before it spreads throughout the room by placing your fan exactly where you need it the most
- FAN COMBO: Exhaust fan and light combo helps reduce foul smell and and is powerful enough for rooms (including bathroom) up to 45 sq. ft. for your convenience
- EFFICIENT: Bright 100-watt lighting capacity (bulb not included) with non-shatter material, light diffusing lens to provide high-quality lasting use
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easy to install and/or replace existing product for DIY’ers. Includes polymeric duct connectors with tapered sleeves for easy, positive ducting and a plug-in, permanently lubricated motor
- DECORATIVE: Designer styled white polymeric grille complements virtually any decor. Recommended Room Size (Sq. Ft.):45
- SAFE: UL listed for use over bathtubs and showers when connected to a GFCI-protected branch circuit. The Type IC (Insulation Contact) unit features an efficient polymeric fan impeller to ensure quality use
- Brighter white grilles blend in to match most common ceiling paint
- [Energy Efficient Ventilation Vent Fan] This bathroom vent fan is quiet and energy-efficient, with 1.0 sones 110 CFM 110V 60HZ 30W fan power and 12W light power. It can effectively and quickly remove moisture and odor without consuming more energy.
- [Bathroom Fan with Color Temperature Change Light] In addition to the exhaust function, the exhaust fan also has the function of color temperature change LED light. When the switch is quickly turned off and on, the color temperature will change. (Three color temperatures 3000K Warm Yellow/4000K Natural Light Color/6000K Bright White) The light has a color reset function. When it is turned off for a long time, it will return to 3000K warm yellow light.
- [Ceiling Duct Fan Installation requirements] Panel size 9.8 x 9.8 inches/ 25 x 25 cm (L x W), Mounting Hole Size: 8.27 x 8.27 Inches/ 21.0 x 21.0 cm (L x W), Duct Diameter: Ø4.0 inches/ Ø10 cm. Confirm the size before purchasing, and the product is directly fixed to the dropping ceiling by screws.
- [Integrated Exhaust Fan Easy to Install] There are two connection modes for fan and light, fan and light turn on and off simultaneously or separately, It is recommended to separate the connection mode of fan and light for separation, which can prolong the service life of the light.
- [Gorgeous Exterior and Solid Interior] The fan is made of ABS plastic, which is strong enough and durable enough to have a fair price. The uniquely designed fan blades can reduce air leakage and work effectively. The copper motor guarantees a long product life.
- [Customer Service Beyond Your Imagination] The service life of LED lights is very long. Please do not worry. Our products are guaranteed for three years. If you have any questions during the purchase or installation process, you can contact us directly and we will reply within 12 hours.
- Very quiet bathroom fan (1.5 sones) and Strong air movement (80CFM) for bathroom up to 85 Sq. Ft
- Easy-to-Install: No cut housing with no attic access installation and replaces most small bathroom standard fans using existing opening. it can be done entirely from the room-ceiling side – no attic access needed installation.Please note that the housing height of this fan is 6 inches. If you replace an old fan with a housing height of 4 inches, make sure that the ceiling is installed deep enough before replacing.
- Housing size: 7.5in x 7.25in x 6in with 4in duct. ceiling mounting Opening: 7.6in x 7.3in.
- Efficient and quiet,excellent motor perfomance, working at least 25000 hours
- Energy Star qualified, UL and HVI certified for performance assurance.Acceptable for use over a bathtub or shower when installed in a GFCI-protected branch circuit.
- 2.0 sones super quiet performance. Silent-Clever Technology
- Mounting opening: 10.5″ x 10.5″. Height: 8″. Stainless steel 6″ duct collar
- Ventilating area for bathroom space up to 200 sq-ft
- HVI 2100-certified,and UL Approved. Quality & performance assurance.
- One-year limited product warranty with technical support service included.